Fake grass has almost become indistinguishable from real grass, with much variety in the faux leaf-blade types and colours that synthetic lawns now come in.
But why pick a synthetic lawn over a real one?
Fake grass Pros
- One of the main selling points of synthetic or artificial grass is that it requires much lower maintenance than real grass, and an easy and practical option for those who would rather spend time relaxing in their backyard, rather than working on it.
- Fake grass doesn’t need watering, mowing, or feeding (some watering is recommended for fake grass when it’s used as an active playing ground).
- Synthetic grass is perfect for people suffering from grass or insect allergies.
- Synthetic grass works well where high wear or shade issues make growing natural grass near impossible
Fake grass Cons
- One main downside is that in the sun, synthetic grass can become almost near impossible to walk on, potentially burning bare skin, which isn’t the best choice for pets or children.
- Fake grass can heat up to three times the local air temperature and continues to release heat after the sun has set.
- It is not often recommended for recreational use in Australia, due to the overheating factor, and the need for watering before, and during play.
- Synthetic grass does not support any life at all, until dust and debris build up and weeds can become established.
- Some fake grass products and their infill recycled tyre rubber material can release gases and noxious chemicals into the environment.
- Synthetic grass requires some cleaning and sanitising and has a limited life up to ten years, and is expensive to dispose of where it currently goes to landfill.
Natural grass Pros
- Supports many life forms from birds and insects to microscopic organisms; allowing breakdown and absorption of dust, pollutants and harmful urban chemicals.
- Natural grass remains comfortable to walk on even in hot temperatures.
- Real grass is supportive and often safer for use when used as a playing field.
- Natural grass is self-cleaning and can generally be replaced at low cost.
- Lawns are proven to provides a natural fire barrier, prevent soil erosion and filter water runoff
- Damage from vehicles, pets, or accidents can be easily repaired, unlike fake grass.
Natural grass Cons
- A natural lawn does require more maintenance and care than a synthetic one, through measures like regular mowing, watering, fertilising, and weed control.
- Depending on the type of grass, routine watering can be needed to care for your lawn.
- Again, depending on the grass-type, some lawns can struggle with high wear and shade issues
- Some lawn types can grow into garden beds so an edging of some type is recommended in most cases.
Lawncare doesn’t need to be difficult and simple hints from Lawn Solutions Australia and their network of member turf growers and Lawn Solutions Centres Australia-wide can help with choosing the right lawn and products to keep your lawn in top condition.
Lawn Care Products
Not sure what product will give you the best results for your lawn? We’ve done the legwork for you. The team behind the Lawn Solutions Centres have put their vast, collective knowledge together and come up with the best products on the market.