Our pets appreciate our yards just as much or more than we do, for different reasons. Some pets spend most of their life in the back yard and if that’s the case in your situation you may have already solved some of issues that we’re going to look at in this article.
You may have to take into consideration what plants your pets do and don’t get along with. Sturdy plants with soft foliage are recommended for areas near your garden. As far as the lawn goes, natural turf grass is one of the best surfaces around because it can handle the ‘ruff’ nature of some of your animals.
Backyard lawns provide a place for our pets to play, eat, and do their business. A well-kept lawn is usually safe for pets and children to play on, it will self-repair from any damage or tracking and with a bit of care with some nutrient and aeration every now-and-then your lawn should serve you and your pet friends well.
As far as choosing your type of lawn is concerned; a Lawn Solutions Australia lawn variety from one of the network of turfgrowers Australia wide can provide you with the appropriate type for your area, climatic conditions and individual requirements.
There are a few differing lawn varieties in Australia; mainly what they call warm-season turf types and these include varieties like Lawn Solutions Australia’s Sir Walter DNA Certified Buffalo, Nullarbor Couch, Eureka Kikuyu and Platinum Zoysia.
Talk to your local Lawn Solutions Australia turf grower and let them know your circumstances and they’ll help in recommending the best fit for your yard.
Once you have made the decision on your lawn, following a few simple tips can help keep your grass and pets in top condition:
- A healthy lawn should equal healthy pets, but be mindful of potentially harmful chemicals in lawn fertilisers and treatments.
- Lawn Solutions Australia’s fertilisers do not contain any heavy metals or overly-toxic components and are safe when used as per the label instructions; ensuring happy and healthy pets and lawns.
- Avoid synthetic grass, your pets will appreciate the natural stuff. Especially in warmer temperatures, fake grass gets hot for both humans and pets.
- Simply putting away gardening tools and equipment (especially sharp ones!) can save your dog from potential injury.
- A little lawn care often will help keep your lawn in good condition. Pets and kids tend to track in places on your lawn and can compact the soil in some areas. Aerate every now and then with a commercial aerator or even a pitch fork and lightly topdress in spring for best results.
- Setting up a fence will not only keep your pet from running off, but is also perfect for keeping pets out of any parts of the garden you want to keep intact, keeping both your pets and your garden safe.
- Our pets need to be able to escape the summer heat and providing a shady spot to hide from the heat will really be appreciated by your pet. Having access to shaded areas is vital.
- As always, keep a water bowl nearby or an automatic watering system, especially on hot days.
By following these tips you’ll be content in knowing your pet is safe and you’ll be able to enjoy a healthy lawn area in your backyard with your best friends, be it either the two- or four-legged-kind.
Lawncare doesn’t need to be difficult and simple hints from Lawn Solutions Australia and their network of member turf growers and Lawn Solutions Centres Australia-wide can help with products to keep your lawn in top condition this summer.
Lawn Care Products
Not sure what product will give you the best results for your lawn? We’ve done the legwork for you. The team behind the Lawn Solutions Centres have put their vast, collective knowledge together and come up with the best products on the market.